Throughout my pregnancy I have been craving the likes of orange juice, lemon cake, sour worms – anything sour and tangy really. So I decided to make this Lemon Pound Cake.
Disclaimer: the recipe is not my own but I added a few toppings to ‘spice’ it up a bit. You can view the recipe at http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-lemon-pound-cake
PS: This is definitely a ‘death by sugar’ recipe. So if you’re watching your sugar intake and counting your calories then maybe give this one a skip.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Mix together 1 cup sugar and butter.
- Add eggs and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice; mix well.
- Add salt, flour, and baking powder to mixture.
- Add milk.
- Bake at 325°F in a well greased loaf pan for 1 hour,or until golden brown.
- Mix 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Use a toothpick to make holes in top of cake and drizzle lemon juice and sugar mixture over the top of the cake when removed from the oven.
- Serve warm or cool.
Once the cake had slightly cooled, I added a few blackberries and raspberries on top and then drizzled the cake with some condensed milk. The berries added an extra zing to the cake, while the condensed milk added some sweetness. The condensed milk also helps to soften the zing of the lemon and berries if you’re not a huge fan of that zingy/sour flavour.