I’m nearing 30 and yes, I’m still a spring chicken but I often think back to the naive little 21-year-old girl I used to be. I was as naive as Dory in Finding Nemo and equally confused about life and love and all other things. I was deeply in love with a gorgeous man from the lush northern suburbs of Joburg (he’s now my husband, yay me!!) but we got off to a bumpy start. I so often sat back bewildered and unhinged by life. I just went with the flow and didn’t really sit back to figure out what I wanted from this life. I could have saved myself many tears and heartache had I known better.
So what would I say to the younger me?
- If you have the privilege of still having your mom around – soak it up. Shes your best friend and knows you the best. Enjoy ‘girl time’ with her – shopping, coffee, nail painting, wine tasting, etc. I have three girls of my own and I can’t wait to be their friend one day. I look forward to these moments we get to spend together. I cherish the ones I now have with my mom.
- Don’t wait around for Mr. Right. He will come. At the right time. And when he does, it will be a beautiful life of love and marriage and kids and a home to call your own. But until then, enjoy the freedom from responsibilities that comes with being 20!
- Listen to music and dance often. Even if it’s only around the lounge while dodging furniture. Sing, dance and let your hair down with the fearlessness of the future while trusting in a big God!
- Take good care of your skin from a young age. Invest in a good skincare routine and quality makeup. I’ve recently purchased some products from a high-end brand and in a few short weeks, it has transformed my skin. Good skincare is well worth the price.
- There’s a sense of security that comes with feeling comfortable in your own skin. Let go of all the negative thoughts and doubts that roam around in your head. Be aware, not apprehensive about the future.
- Invest in a life worth telling your kids about one day. Don’t be sidetracked and derailed by the seemingly attractive things of the world.
- Write down your goals and NEVER be afraid to dream BIG! Whether it be traveling the world or being the first woman to walk on the moon – allow yourself to dream.
- Being unique is a rare quality we all possess – use it! Don’t try and be someone else, mimicking a second-rate version of what you think is idealistic. You were made in His image, fearfully, wonderfully and uniquely YOU.
- Life is what you make of it. So go on, go and find your groove and don’t apologize for being fearless in your pursuit for identity.
- Don’t go at it alone. We are built to be in a relationship with one another. Find a security system that becomes your voice of reason and helps you scale the mountaintops of life.
- Manicured hands make for pretty hands.
- Find your passion – RUN after it!
- It’s always better to serve than to be served, it’s better to be second rather than first, always remain humble – pride comes before a mighty fall.
- Aim for contentment rather than instant gratification. Contentment is a way of life, gratification lasts only a minute.
- An untamed tongue causes strife. A woman who can control her speech is one to be admired.
- A woman with high moral standing is noticeable.
- Look for a man whose heart is heavily invested in something greater than himself.
- Respect is of greater worth than good looks.
- Lipstick does wonders for self-confidence!
- Smelling nice leaves a lasting aroma.
- Let your daily outfit be adorned with compassion, kindness, humility and quiet strength!